Forum durchsuchen

Should perfumes be stored in the refrigerator ?

Should perfumes be stored in the refrigerator ? vor 7 Jahren
I posted this just now on the English version , my German writing isn't that good any-more but hopefully it is readable.

Many times in the souk I read 'always kept/stored cold' . Or in German 'kühl gelagert'.

There are some misunderstandings about keeping your perfumes in the refrigerator. I've been reading alot about how to store them and there are many do's and don'ts .
When a perfume is always stored in a refrigerator and it's taken out because you've sold it and sent it to the buyer, it will be challenging ( much) higher temperatures which can waste the fragrance.
I will put some links below here.

But this is the most important rule, written by the Fragrance Foundation. Afterall, it is the premier resource for expert fragrance information. Here is what they had to say:

"It's important that you keep your fragrance protected against extreme cold or heat. Only colognes and toilet waters should be stored in the refrigerator. Perfumes should not be exposed to extreme cold or heat because either may upset their delicate balance. Notes can be affected by extreme temperatures."

So, if not the refrigerator, where should you store your fragrances?

Do store fragrances in cool, dry spaces away from sunlight:
>Cupboards
>Dresser drawers
>Dark closets

Don't store fragrances in:
>Bathrooms (generally moist and warm)
>Windowsills
>Direct sunlight

www.perfume.org/health-and-beauty-tips/are-fra grances-a-friend-of-the-fridge
www.perfume.org/all-about-perfume/how-to-prope rly-store-your-fragrances
www.ebay.com/gds/10-Dos-and-Donts-of-Storing-P erfume-/10000000177632556/g.html
www.wikihow.com/Store-Perfume
Add Photo
vor 7 Jahren
my take on 'kühl gelagert' would be: the seller wants to indicate that one followed (no direct light / cold-ish ...) most of the guideline rules you mentioned in your post. The storage in a actual fridge / or wine cooler should not be necessary in the german or central EU climate zone ...
vor 7 Jahren
Indeed, including Scandinavia, UK, Ireland and probably even more
vor 7 Jahren
Hello Parfummaniac, nice to see you here Smile
I had not known those rules about storage (thanks for the links, will have a look at them), but had imagined that extreme temperature difference wouldn't do any good, same as fresh items taken out from the freezer - so never would've stored my fragrances in a fridge.
I agree with Ohdeberlin that with "kühl gelagert", many (including myself) just mean that the fragrance was stored away from direct sunlight and warmth (bathroom, heating etc.). I am keeping mine cool and dark (drawer, on shelves in boxes), both the ones currently in use and backups.
You are both right, we in these climates probably don't need a fridge (not sure what I'd do if I lived in a hot and humid country, though, I read that perfumes turn quite fast there).
I store some consumables in a very cool and dry cellar (not perfumes), but when I take them up to normal room temperature, I know that they'll be used up in a foreseeable time.
vor 7 Jahren
I also agree with the others that "kühl gelagert" merely refers to a cool, shaded storage space. Usually, I keep my fragrances in my wardrobe, since it never gets any direct sunlight. I have noticed that many "beauty bloggers" store their perfumes on cake stands which they then put on their make-up tables. I am not sure hot much sense that makes, considering that you would probably want your make-up table to be in a well-lit part of your room and probably even have access to sunlight.
Bei Antworten benachrichtigen
Übersicht Parfum allgemein Should perfumes be stored in the refrigerator ?
Gehe zu